playground some color replacement soy bean oil 1 ice ice baby

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Little Things

People have come and gone. And nobody fought. Or cried. Unless they were aged six or under. There is something to be said for this, I think.

We spent a semi-respectable week in one another's company, cooling ourselves in the waters of Good Harbor beach and eating fresh (as opposed to Utah caught) seafood at Lobsta Land. Saturday the women went to see The Belle of Amherst in which Lindsay Crouse plays a convincing Emily, at least as far as the poetry is concerned. We sat and ate around our long, dining room table, even told a couple of stories while cleaning up. We're a family of storytellers.

If stories could be rated, and sometimes they must be, the best goes out to my mum on the way to the Manchester airport, stuck in traffic, both of us wondering aloud if they'd make their flight. She talked at length about a dinner date she and my dad had with a couple who is in the process of buying my mom and dad's condo. During dinner my dad offered up opinions about his favorite restaurant and voila, another dinner date was born.

I try to imagine all of them eating together. A tall, white and conservatively dressed man (in the way that suits are conservative) with his partner, a small, black transsexual, appropriately attired, my sixtyish, white parents, conservatively dressed in a way that reflects their commitment to their Mormon values--no plunging necklines, sleeves covering shoulders and upper arms, and sensible shoes.

"What do you talk about?" I ask wishing that I could borrow an invisibility cloak and join them for dinner.

"Music and art," she says. "I made C a cd with some of my favorite music. He loves it." "They want to do things with us," she says. "Go to concerts, and dinner."

She even tells me a little about a passport problem due to confusion surrounding C's photo and surgery, this from a woman who leaves the room during discussions or readings of Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi because of the uncomfortable way this subject and many subjects make her feel.

"That's great," I say. And I mean it.

My parents have changed. A little bit and a little bit at a time. Person by person. Place by place. And thing by thing. Little, itty, bitty, bit of change. At a time.

No comments: