playground some color replacement soy bean oil 1 ice ice baby

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Bus Stop Chitchat

Today at 7:30 a.m. I walked three children to the bus stop to put one of them on the bus. I met a dad of three daughters. After about 10 seconds of chitchat, names, ages of children, etc, he told me about the level three sex offender who lives a few doors down from the stop.

"I want to get him out of here," he said. "He lives by a playground, a ball field, a bus stop. I think it's against the law. Lives with his parents, works out of town, so he's gone a lot. People like his parents."

"Oh."

Silence. Silence.

More chitchat. Schools. Bus routes. Chit. Chat.

But the whole time I'm thinking Little Children. It's Little Children. This is Little Children.

I think about my children. I spend the rest of the day thinking about children. And what it means to keep them safe.

No comments: